Women's soccer plays to 0-0 draw at Goldey-Beacom

Women's soccer plays to 0-0 draw at Goldey-Beacom

WILMINGTON, Del. – The Saint Anselm College women's soccer team began the 2019 season with a 0-0 double-overtime draw against Goldey-Beacom on Thursday afternoon.

Box Score

With each team competing in their season openers, the Hawks and Lightning each exit play with an 0-0-1 record. Saint Anselm had the majority of scoring chances throughout the 110 minute affair, recording 11 shots and 12 corners, but the Hawks were unable to generate a goal.

"Our opening match proved to be all that we could ask for," remarked Head Coach Joel Bancroft following the tilt. "The way we set the tempo and dictated play in the first half was a glimpse into who we are and what we want to consistently grow into as the fall winds on."

Saint Anselm started the first 19 minutes of the match with four corners. Freshman Soleil Skehan (Hermon, Maine) got an opening in the defense and rocketed a shot from the top of the box, going high over the crossbar in the 42nd minute of play.

Saint Anselm led in the shots category, 6-2, and a total of six corners throughout the first half.

In the 68th minute, Goldey-Beacom's Jenna Fannon as awarded a penalty kick but junior Payton Wildrick (Dartmouth, Mass.) came up with a big save, keeping the game scoreless.

After a back-and-forth battle in the first 90 minutes, the two teams went to extra time. One of the many scoring opportunities for the Hawks came from sophomore Regan Pratt (Newburyport, Mass.). She uncorked a shot from inside the box in the game's 98th minute but the blast was blocked down by a Lightning defender.

Saint Anselm logged all three shots of overtime but was unable to capitalize. The Hawks finished with the 11-to-5 edge in shots taken and the decisive 12-to-2 edge in corner kicks.

"Give Goldey-Beacom credit," said Bancroft. "They made some adjustments and made us uncomfortable in the second half. In the big picture, when we generate 12 corners and 11 shots, we need to have more quality and finish those opportunities."

Wildrick made three saves across 110 minutes of action, posting her seventh career shutout. Goldey-Beacom's Noel Talbot was not forced to make a save for the hosts.

"I'm proud of the team," concluded Bancroft. "To take to the road and find a point shows a deeper resiliency than we had last year. We will grow from this match as we move forward."

The Hawks continue their road trip, heading to Holy Family on Saturday, Sept. 8 at 3 p.m.