Men's soccer edged 2-1 at No. 15 Southern New Hampshire

MANCHESTER, N.H.Emmet O'Callaghan scored for the third time in three games this season, but No. 15 Southern New Hampshire University edged the Saint Anselm College men's soccer team 2-1 in the Northeast-10 Conference opener for both teams on Wednesday evening at Larkin Field.

With Saint Anselm (1-2-0, 0-1-0 NE10) trailing 1-0, O'Callaghan scored a deft chip from 30 yards out in the 33rd minute to tie the game at 1-1 at halftime. However, Alex Satrustegui broke the deadlock a little over six minutes into the second half with the game-winning goal for the Penmen.

Box Score

Just 2:28 into the game, Southern New Hampshire went on top when Satrustegui's shot from the top of the box on the right came back off the far post and Michael Rowley was on hand to head into the net. The Hawks had a couple chances to tie it in the first 20 minutes, including a header by Dan Kelly off an O'Callaghan corner that was saved by a diving Daniel Milton.

In the 23rd minute, Spencer Persson nearly got on the end of a cross-field ball by Felipe Bispo but was only able to get a toe on it and draw a save from Milton. A couple minutes later, Satrustegui hit the post for the second time in the game, but this time his left-footed shot hit the bar and went out of play.

With 12:03 left in the opening half, O'Callaghan knicked the ball off a SNHU defender, held off a defender as he drove towards goal, saw Milton off the line and chipped the SNHU keeper from 30 yards out to even the score at 1-1 at the break.

The first chance of the second half went to the Penmen just 1:30 after the interval but Neto dove down to his right to push aside a Louka Masset free kick from 25 yards out in the middle of the field. In the 52nd minute, Satrustegui grabbed his second goal of the night to put SNHU back on top as he clipped a ball from the right end line that tucked inside the far post.

Southern New Hampshire had an opportunity to go up 3-1 in the 66th minute but Tom Marriott sent a free kick from just outside the box went just over. Less than three minutes later, Jack Heintzelman played in O'Callaghan down the right flank but the junior's shot from a tight angle was straight at Milton.

Satrustegui had a chance to score his second, controlling a cross from the right before firing over from near the penalty spot in the 77th minute. With exactly six minutes remaining, Neto rushed off his line to again deny Satrustegui again, corralling the ball as Satrustegui tried to go around him at the top of the box.

Southern New Hampshire held a 24-6 advantage in shots in the game, including a 10-5 edge in shots on goal. Helio Meirelles Neto made eight saves, one shy of his career-high, but took the loss to fall to 0-2-0, while Milton recorded four saves to improve to 4-0-0.

Saint Anselm hosts Saint Rose in an 11 a.m. kickoff at Melucci Field on Saturday, Sept. 16. The Hawks will celebrate the 50th year of men's soccer on the Hilltop on Saturday as well.