Men's ice hockey drops 2018 opener to Wentworth, 3-2

MANCHESTER, N.H. – Visiting Wentworth Institute of Technology scored three times in the second period and held on late to defeat the Saint Anselm College men's ice hockey team by a 3-2 margin in a non-conference matchup on Saturday evening at Sullivan Arena.

Box Score

Brenden Lloyd scored two of his team's three second-period goals for Wentworth (5-8-3) in just the second-ever meeting between the two programs. Sophomore defenseman Liam O'Sullivan scored his first-career goal for Saint Anselm (5-7-1), which played its first game after nearly a month off, in addition to a goal from senior Jon Pallotta.

The Hawks and Leopards played a scoreless first period with sophomore Mike Ferraro coming as close as either team did to scoring when he rang a shot off the inside of the post in the closing minutes of the period, but the puck stayed out.

Wentworth scored twice in the space of 38 seconds in the first two minutes of the second to build a two-goal cushion. Dante Flori opened the scoring at 1:09 before Lloyd doubled the Leopards' lead, with Nate Chase picking up helpers on both Wentworth tallies.

Later in the second period, O'Sullivan blasted home his first-collegiate goal at 13:07 to get the Hawks on the board. Sophomore Jeremy Carignan got the puck to junior Brian Cameron on the far boards and Cameron found O'Sullivan for a one-timer from between the circles to make it a 2-1 game.

Just one minute later, Wentworth re-established a two-goal advantage as Lloyd grabbed his second of the game to give the visitors a 3-1 lead. Saint Anselm had a pair of chance to get back within a goal before the period was up, with the best chance coming when Ferraro juked his way to the net only to be denied by Ryan Hubbard with 10 seconds left in the period.

Hubbard turned aside a pair of shots by Bryan Green and one each by Kevin Curley and Nick Gorski past the midpoint of the third to keep it a 3-1 game. However, the Hawks' pressure paid off as Ferraro set up Pallotta for his fourth of the year at 15:03 to again draw Saint Anselm within one. Ferraro intercepted a pass in the offensive end, slid the puck across the ice to an open Pallotta on the right side and the senior scored from a tight angle.

With Saint Anselm in search of a tying goal, Wentworth was whistled for a cross-checking penalty with 2:05 remaining. Ferraro drew a save from Hubbard with 1:52 left, but that was the only shot on goal the Hawks were able to generate despite pulling netminder Shane Joyce for the final 54 seconds.

Hubbard made 30 saves for Wentworth to improve to 3-5-1 on the season, while Joyce fell to 3-4-0 despite a 23-save performance. Saint Anselm held a 32-26 advantage in shots on goal in the game but was unable to score on three power-play chances.

The Hawks return to Northeast-10 Conference play with a weekend series at Stonehill on Friday and Saturday, Jan. 12-13 that will be held at Warrior Ice Arena. Puck drop is slated for 5:40 p.m. in Friday's series opener.