Andreucci caps big weekend, men's ice hockey skates to 3-3 tie at USM

GORHAM, Maine – Freshman forward Alec Andreucci completed a seven-point weekend with two goals and an assist in the Saint Anselm College men's ice hockey team's 3-3 tie against the University of Southern Maine on Saturday afternoon at USM Ice Arena.

Box Score

With the teams locked at 2-2, both teams scored in the final two minutes of the third period, but neither could find a winning goal. Andreucci scored his second of the game with 1:42 remaining to put Saint Anselm (5-5-1) on top, but Cody Braga answered for Southern Maine (1-7-3) with 43.4 seconds to go as the teams eventually had to settle for a tie.

Andreucci's three-point performance came following a one-goal, three-assist showing in a 7-0 victory over Franklin Pierce on Friday night at Sullivan Arena. Classmate Matt Chisholm also scored in Saturday's tie, while fellow freshman Frank Ferrara and senior Jon Pallotta recorded assists.

In his third-straight start, junior goaltender Colin Soucy recorded a season-high 30 saves for the Hawks. Counterpart Anthony D'Aloisio kept out 28 Saint Anselm shots for the Huskies, who held a slender, 33-31, lead in shots in the game. Saint Anselm had the only two shots of the extra session.

Southern Maine outshot Saint Anselm 15-8 in a scoreless opening period as Soucy recorded half of his 30 saves in the opening 20 minutes. The Hawks and Huskies split a four-goal second period evenly as goals by Parker Sanderson bookended tallies by Andreucci and Chisholm.

The Huskies finally got a puck past Soucy at 6:10 of the second period when Braga set up Sanderson for his first of the game on the power play. A little over six minutes later, Andreucci got his first of the afternoon off a pass from Ferrara to even matters at a goal apiece.

Following a five-minute major to Southern Maine, Chisholm re-directed an Andreucci shot on the power play just 2:17 later to give the Hawks their first lead of the game at 2-1. It appeared as if Saint Anselm would carry the one-goal advantage into the final period until Sanderson struck for his second power-play goal of the period with two seconds to go.

Neither team scored in the third until the Hawks and Huskies each scored in the final 1:42. Andreucci picked up his second goal of the game and fifth of the season at 18:18, but Braga sent the game to overtime a little less than a minute later with just 43.4 seconds remaining, scoring on a rebound after the Huskies pulled D'Aloisio for the extra skater.

Saint Anselm is off during the week next week before heading to Plymouth State on Saturday, Dec. 9. Puck drop against the Panthers is slated for 6 p.m.